2016年5月17日星期二

Reflection






From the beginning, when I get the template, it gives me a different feeling from my super glue bottle, the shape is more complex and need more precise work than the previous one. At first, when we discuss how to make the skin, we all predicted that the central curve of the shovel will be the hardest part. But when we start working on that part, we used and experiment different techniques to shape the curve, like use wooden mallet to hit the edge or use semi-cylinder as a base to hit metal or directly use it to hit metal. We solved and discussed problems and techniques together which make everything easier and save lots of time to do more refine works. 

Although the shovel has three flat surface which looks simple and easy to make. But once you start to bend the wings or edges of the shovel, this flat surface become irregular and curve. It took me lots of time to fix, but still could not get the results I want. Until Tuesday, when I met Daniel, he gave me suggestion to use metal hammer to do slight hit on surface which help me so much. I took this suggestions and kept working on that. The hammer will leave beautiful mark on the skin but sometimes would left ugly line which I really want to avoid.Then I practice a lot to let the hammer's mid part to hit the steel, not the edge, which improve the whole quality of the final skin. This  process shows the importance of the communication for project, everybody improved through the conversation and learn something from each others. After that, you take your time to absorb the ideas and experience from other people and develope your own working system.

 The most valuable thing I learned from this task and working process is how to make something with patience, especially for the fine final finish. I sat there, put the skin on the steel plate and use steel round hammer hit it, repeated this process for hundreds times. Then I can saw the fine results gradually appears and everything  goes well at that moment. It is about time, patience and waiting, it means each small steps and small hits will finally become a beautiful results! 

没有评论:

发表评论